Change your first name without worries with a first name change

We will guide you through the entire process so you can confidently adopt your desired first name.

588 people went before you: 99.8% success
Legal expertise and experience
Personal guidance and good accessibility
We guarantee complete discretion
First name changes
Successful changes
5 star review | Simmelink Advocatenkantoor
Client reviews
Dutch flag - Simmelink lawyers
Nationwide reach

Don’t recognize yourself in your first name or would like a different one?

Do you feel uncomfortable or unconnected with your first name?
Are you having problems because of your first name in your personal or professional life?
Is your first name holding you back from being fully yourself?
Is your name often mispronounced or misspelled?
Do you experience psychological disturbance or harassment by your first name?
Is there a misspelling or wrong first name on your birth certificate?
Would you like to add a first name of a loved one?
Do you have a foreign name that does not fit well with the Dutch language and culture?
Does your first name no longer fit after a gender change or X status?
Doesn’t your first name match your religious beliefs?

We believe that everyone has the right to a first name that suits them and that they can be proud of.

First name with typewriter: changing or adding first name at law firm simmelink

A first name that suits you: Law firm Simmelink is here to help you

At Simmelink Law Firm, we understand how important it is to have a first name that truly suits you. A name that does not suit you can cause discomfort in both your personal and professional life. We are here to help you.

With years of experience in name changes, Simmelink Law Firm has a proven track record. Our specialized lawyers offer not only legal support, but also empathy and understanding of your unique situation. We are known for our thorough and personal approach, making us a reliable partner to support for a first name change.

At Simmelink Law Firm, everything is about you. We make sure that your first name becomes a source of pride and confidence so that you can be fully yourself in all aspects of your life.

Get free advice to change your first name
vrouw paspoort spelfout voornaam | Simmelink Advocatenkantoor

Reviews from former clients

5 star review | Simmelink Advocatenkantoor

Law firm Simmelink is distinguished by expertise and in-depth knowledge. My case was handled correctly with no unexpected costs, which they estimated accurately in advance.

5 star review | Simmelink Advocatenkantoor

Excellent law firm! The team is very friendly, communication clear and appointments are always kept. I definitely recommend this firm for legal support.

5 star review | Simmelink Advocatenkantoor

Simmelink’s handling of my alimony calculation was fast and efficient, and I am very satisfied with the result. They are approachable and have extensive knowledge.

5 star review | Simmelink Advocatenkantoor

Law firm Simmelink is very professional and client-oriented. They understand the client’s needs and go out of their way to help. Rarely do you see a company where the customer is as central as at Simmelink.

How much does a first name change cost?

With us, changing the first name costs 585,- incl VAT*, the only additional cost is the court fee. For this amount, you will receive personal guidance from us, we will prepare the necessary documents and substantiation for the reason for the change and ensure that the proceedings in court go smoothly. We will guide you through the entire procedure from start to finish.

At the court, the court fee is currently 320, unfortunately this amount is not included in the price. It is a nationwide fee that applies to all law firms.

* We can only offer this price if you provide the birth certificate yourself. We also assume that there will be no court hearing, in practice we hardly ever experience this, first name change proceedings are normally handled in writing.

Get free advice for a change first name

Cost change first name per letter?

In our daily practice, we are often asked what the cost is for changing a first name by letter. In the Netherlands, you don’t pay by the letter. In fact, fees apply to the entire first name change procedure. So you do not pay for each individual letter or per first name. Whether you add one letter or adopt a completely new name, the cost remains the same.

Subsidized legal aid for a first name change?

If you experience mental health symptoms related to your first name and it affects your functioning in society, you may be eligible for subsidized legal assistance for a first name change. This support requires that you be treated by a licensed psychologist or psychiatrist.

In our experience, we can do a good job of protecting your privacy when filing a first name change.

For expert guidance and to start the first name change procedure, we invite you to contact us directly. We are here to help you every step of the way.

Get free advice for a change first name

First name change benefits at Simmelink Lawyers

Our experienced lawyers offer customized step-by-step plans for changing first names. You will receive the professional attention and high-quality support you need.

You will receive advice from legal experts, leading to better results in your case. You can make legal decisions with confidence, knowing you have the best possible support.

We will guide you from A to Z for changing your first name.
You are welcome for an initial no-obligation intake at our office in Maarssen – Utrecht or with an appointment via video calling. No matter where you live, in the Netherlands, or abroad, we always guarantee quality and personal contact.

You know exactly where you stand which allows us to reduce stress and uncertainty for you. Through our integrity and discretion, we ensure that your personally sensitive information remains secure so that you can move forward with peace of mind. We handle your privacy and confidential information with care.  

We have achieved great success with requested first name changes due to a thorough approach and years of experience. At this moment, all name change requests submitted through our process have been approved.

What are reasons for a first name change?

  • In memory of a family member or loved one
    You would like to change or add a first name to honor someone special to you. This can include a dear family member such as a grandfather, grandmother, father or mother, or a beloved nickname from a loved one.

    Read more about how we helped parents add Grandpa’s first name to their 4-year-old son.
  • Psychological hindrance or suffering
    Your first name brings up unpleasant memories from the past. This could include the family you grew up in or another situation that evokes traumatic memories for you. Maybe you expect your child’s name will be a source of bullying in the future. You may have experienced bullying in the past, at school or work.
  • Cultural origin or foreign first name
    Your first name was a common first name in your country of birth, but it is not appropriate in the Netherlands because the name has a different meaning or is consistently mispronounced.
  • X status in intersex or nonbinary persons
    Intersex or non-binary individuals who wish to obtain x status can change their first name to one that is more appropriate.
  • Incorrect birth declaration
    Your first name was incorrectly recorded at birth registration. For example, a first name was forgotten or a spelling error was made in the birth certificate.

    Read more about how we helped Marie fix a spelling mistake in her first name.
  • Personal and emotional identification
    The first name obtained from your parents does not suit you or you are named after a relative or acquaintance with whom you have nothing in common or do not even know.

    Read more about how we helped Moos find an appropriate first name to match his identity.
  • Faith
    A first name does not fit with a new faith you have adopted.
  • After adoption
    You are adopted and have a foreign or Dutch first name that does not suit you.
  • First name does not match married surname
    You are getting married and want to adopt your future spouse’s surname, but your first name does not match the surname.

To prepare a petition for a first name change, you need a lawyer

Adding, changing or deleting one or more first names requires a court order. For the first name change, you will need a lawyer. On your behalf, the lawyer may ask the court in a petition to add, change or remove one or more first names.

Based on the petition, the judge makes a decision on whether there is a good reason to change the first name. For the judge, your motivation for changing your first name is very important. Therefore, it is important that your lawyer carefully articulate your reasons and make the right argument.

The procedure to change first name

We outline the application process for a first name change in court here in six clear steps. We want you to know exactly what to expect and follow along with your first name change process.

steps-for-name-change-law firm-simmelink

Intake interview

The intake interview is non-binding and free of charge. We will discuss your reason for wanting to change your first name.

To save travel time and costs, the introductory meeting can be by phone, email or video call. In this way, you can save travel time and costs. Of course, you are also welcome to visit our office in Maarssen (Utrecht) or Amsterdam.

Drafting of petition

We prepare the petition that contains the rationale for the desired change. This may be a change, addition or deletion of one or more first names.

Then, we send the petition to you in draft form for additions or changes. It is important to ensure that the desired first name is written flawlessly and that all reasoning is worded correctly.

Filing petition with court

After you approve the petition, we send the petition to the court.

A recent copy of your birth certificate, not older than three months, shall be attached to the petition. If you were born abroad, an original birth certificate will suffice. If the birth certificate has not been converted to a Dutch certificate, this can be requested from the court in the same first name change procedure. You can also choose to do this yourself at the Hague municipality. For more information, see the Hague City Council website. If you do not have a birth certificate or you cannot obtain one because you cannot return to your native country, a replacement birth certificate may be requested in addition to a request for a first name change.

Assessment by court

The court assesses whether the request meets the requirements and is based on sound reasoning.

The pronouncement of a first name change is usually in writing, without a hearing. This means that you do not have to come to court for an oral hearing.

With this, the assignment of the new first name is not yet official. First, the statutory three-month period to appeal must be waited.

Changing birth certificate and updating BRP

After the statutory three-month period has passed, the court sends the ruling to the municipality where your birth certificate is located. If you were born abroad, the ruling will be sent to the municipality of The Hague.

Next, the registrar adds the record of the changed first name behind the original birth certificate and for people living in the Netherlands, enters the changes in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP). Government organizations connected to the BRP receive the changes automatically. Your bank, insurance company and other agencies, such as your workplace and sports club, will require an update from you.

Your first name is officially changed once it is added to your birth certificate by the municipality.

The new first name is official

With the registration of your new first name, it is officially established. You have successfully changed your first name the way you wanted it.

How long does the first name change procedure take?

The average time for changing first names is between two and six months. It varies depending on the court where your request is heard. There are a total of six steps in the procedure for a first name change.

Here is an overview of the timeline:

  1. Within a few days, usually within two days
    Intake interview
    During this conversation, we will discuss the reason and your motivation for the name change.
  2. Within two weeks
    Submitting petition
    We prepare and file the petition with the court. The reason and motivation are clearly described so that the court has a clear understanding of your situation.
  3. Usually within two months
    Judge’s ruling
    This may vary, as some courts may seek additional advice from the district attorney and/or the relevant municipality.
  4. More than three months after the ruling
    Waiting for final change
    After the decision is issued, it takes three months for the decision to become final; the deadline for appeal must be waited. Then the change will be entered in the municipality’s registers (BRP) within about a month.
  5. Processing in marital status
    If the court grants your request, the court will notify the civil registry of the municipality where you are registered of your new given name or names. After this, the registrar will process this request and update your birth certificate. Next, your new first name(s) will be entered into the Municipal Personal Records Database (GBA).
  6. Requesting new documents
    Once the name is changed, you can apply for new identity documents, such as a passport, ID card and driver’s license with your new first name on it.

Note: The duration of the procedure may be affected if no Dutch birth certificate is available. In such cases, such as a foreign birth certificate, the procedure may take longer. The foreign certificate must then be converted, or a replacement birth certificate can be requested.

Eenvoudig je voornaam wijzigen met ons e-book

Download nu ons uitgebreide e-book en ontdek hoe je moeiteloos en succesvol je voornaam kunt wijzigen, toevoegen of verwijderen.

Het e-book biedt je alle informatie die nodig is om deze belangrijke verandering met vertrouwen door te voeren.

cover ebook voornaam wijzigen 3dl | Simmelink Advocatenkantoor

FAQ: most frequently asked questions about a first name change

Here you will find frequently asked questions from clients about first name changes.

The average time for changing first names is between two and six months. It varies depending on the court where your request is heard.

At Simmelink Lawyers, we have developed considerable expertise over the years in assisting clients in changing their first names.

We see that the desire to change a name often stems from personal reasons. Many of our clients have experienced that their given name does not match their identity, which can lead to discomfort and even psychological stress in daily life. This ranges from experiencing teasing or bullying to a strong personal preference for a different name. In some cases, clients have a desire to add or remove a second name.

Our experience at Simmelink Lawyers shows that with us, the success rate of name changes is high, thanks to our expert guidance and thorough knowledge of the legal procedures. We have helped countless clients achieve their desired first name change, which has consistently resulted in satisfied clients and appreciation for our smooth and clear process.

Many people want to change their first name, and at Simmelink Lawyers, we can help. We have extensive experience and are ready to guide you through every step of this important process.

The change of a first name change consists of 6 steps:

  1. Intake interview
  2. Drafting petition
  3. Petition to court
  4. Judge’s assessment
  5. Change in marital status
  6. You have a new first name

Yes, it is possible to change the name on your old diplomas. Below are the steps to follow:

  1. Application to DUO
    For diplomas issued by Dutch educational institutions, you can request a replacement diploma from the Education Executive Agency (DUO). They offer support in the process of changing the name on your diplomas. You can contact DUO for detailed information about the procedure and any required documentation.
  2. Contacting your educational institution
    If your degree was issued by a specific educational institution, you should contact that institution directly. Inquire about their specific policies and procedures for changing names on diplomas. They can provide you with the necessary forms and guide you through the process.

Important to know

  • Possible costs
    Please remember that there may be a fee to change the name on your diplomas.
  • Required documents
    Make sure you have all necessary documents on hand, such as a valid ID and, if applicable, official documents confirming the name change.

If you were born abroad and you live in the Netherlands, in many cases it is possible to have your first name changed.
Your request for a change of first name will be sent to the Hague District Court. If the judge rules in favor, the written ruling will be sent to the Hague municipality. Then the birth certificate will be updated and the change is final.
In case your birth certificate is not yet registered at the Hague Civil Registry, this will first have to be done by you yourself or you can apply to the court for a change of first name in the first name procedure.

By the way, even if you live abroad as a Dutch citizen, you can ask the Dutch court to change your first name.

In the Netherlands, you can choose your own first name. There is no mandatory list of names. The two main conditions for changing a first name are:
– the first name change must have a sufficiently compelling interest.
– the new first name must not be an inappropriate name or existing last name unless it is a common first name.
For example, someone can bear the first name “Mensje”. The first name “Woman” is not allowed because it is a description of a capacity.

By the way, even if you live abroad as a Dutch citizen, you can ask the Dutch court to change your first name.

To change your first name, you must be at least 18 years old. However, it is also possible for minors to request a first name change request. Only the parent or guardian with joint or parental authority can make the request.

It is also possible to add or delete one or more first names.

Based on article 1:4 of the Civil Code, the court may, at the request of the person wishing to amend the first name or at the request of its legal representative, amend a first name.

However, it is also possible for a minor to apply for a first name change. Only the legal representative such as the parent with parental authority or guardian with joint custody can make the request.

It is also possible to add or delete one or more first names.

Based on article 1:4 of the Civil Code, the court may, at the request of the person wishing to amend the first name or at the request of its legal representative, amend a first name.

Do you want to change your first name as a transgender person? With us, you have come to the right place. We are one of the pioneers in the Netherlands in this field.

By the way, even if you live abroad as a Dutch citizen, you can ask the Dutch court to change your first name.

It is possible to change your family name or surname.
Changing a surname is handled by Justis. Justis is the screening authority of the Ministry of Justice and Security in the field of integrity.
The request for a different surname is completed through the Justis application process. You are not required to hire a lawyer to want to change your last name.

By the way, even if you live abroad as a Dutch citizen, you can ask the Dutch court to change your first name.

Simmelink Lawyers is the pioneer for obtaining x-status. We know exactly what it takes in the process of obtaining x-status. Given that a gender-neutral status often aligns more appropriately with a different first name than the current one, we combine the application for x-status with a request to change the first name.

By the way, even if you live abroad as a Dutch citizen, you can ask the Dutch court to change your first name.

When it comes to choosing first names, there is no mandatory list in the Netherlands.

You have the freedom to select a first name of your choice. However, two restrictions are established by law:

1. The first name chosen must not be inappropriate or offensive.

2. It is not permitted to use an existing last name as a first name unless that first name is used frequently.

To ensure that the desired first name meets the legal requirements, you can ask us for free advice on whether the first name change is possible.

No, physical presence in the Netherlands is not required to change your first name according to Dutch law. We have the option of video calling. This means you can take the following steps without having to come to our office:

  1. Making an appointment
    You make an appointment for a video call. During this interview, we will provide all the necessary information and answer your questions.
  2. Submit documents digitally
    All required documents for the first name change can be submitted digitally.
  3. Online support
    We will support you every step of the way and you can always contact us if you have any questions.

In a situation where your birth certificate is not recorded in the Dutch civil registry, it is necessary to obtain an official copy of your foreign birth certificate. This copy must be legalized and translated by a licensed certified translator. You can apply for this birth certificate in the country where you were born. Once the deed is legalized and translated, it will be recognized in the Netherlands, allowing you to begin the process of changing your first name.